Sunday, August 7, 2011

Clip Behavior System board...ribbons and scrapbook paper and paint, oh my!

Ok, so I got right to work last night on the behavior board (again, the system was not my original idea...I took the idea of the board from the Voss Vine blog, and most of the sayings from The Polka Dot Patch (http://www.thekinderpolkadotpatch.com/search/label/Classroom%20Management). And anyway, here's what I came up with. It was a lot of fun to make, and I adore that there's lots of color and ribbon. Like other clip systems, the kids start the day on the green "Ready to Learn" section. If they make good choices, they can move their clip up to "Good Day," "Great job," and finally, "Super Star!" On the other hand, poor choices will mean that the clip is moved to "Think About it" (a warning), "Teacher Choice" (depending on the time of day and the bevhavior, this could mean missing some recess, center time, or losing some other opportunity), and finally, "Parent Contact/Office" (again, depending on the type of behaviors). The beauty is that even if the child has had to move the clip down, they always have the chance to move their clip back UP! MUCH more motivating than the typical name-on-the-board-and-you-miss-5-minutes-of-recess discipline! So, I guess here in a couple of weeks I'll see how it works in my classroom! Now to make some cute clips...I see a trip to Walmart for clothespins in the near future....


6 comments:

  1. I think this could work well in a kindergarten classroom....you should write about how it's going! Also, it IS great that the students can move back up! Is there any reward for having a super day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I'm excited to see your clothespins! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, I'm still pondering the reward! Any ideas? I might make a cute slip to send home with the child that day so they can show their parents. If I do, I will share that with you! I've also done prize box stuff in the past; maybe there'll be some sort of ticket system this year where they have to earn so many tickets to choose from the prize box. Super star day could earn 4 tickets, great earns 3, good earns 2, ready to learn earns 1? Hopefully that way everyone would eventually earn enough tickets to choose from the box!! I saw at Dollar Tree they have raffle tickets now in all different colors!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Check my classroom clip chart out... posting tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!! I like how it's got so much space for your clips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brandi,
    I thought I would get an e-mail when you responded--I guess I have to set that setting! Anyhow, I think the ticket system is great. Maybe when the students get their prize then you could send a cute note home! I think that's a great idea. You could even have fake pennies as the "tickets" and once they earn enough to turn their pennies into a nickels or dimes they could get a prize! ;) I bet you would have a better idea of how many "tickets" to give the students....but maybe 3 for a super star day, 2 for a great day and 1 for a good day? I have a feeling most students will move from "ready to learn."

    ReplyDelete